The first week is a blur of people coming to visit, me being horrified at the yuckiness that is the female body post-birth, and an overall sense of awe at the fact that the little person hanging out with us all day long previously resided in my body.
Now, almost a month later, we're falling into a routine and getting more used to each other :) I had a bout of the baby blues early on, but luckily they've passed and I'm feeling more confident in my new -- and permanent -- role as mom.
It's amazing that even though the lack of sleep gets to both John and I, and it can be frustrating when you're the baby's only source of food and other people are pressuring you to start using formula so I "can rest", I can't imagine life without baby John. When I get super tired or overwhelmed, I think of how I would feel if I didn't have him, and that feeling is sooo sad and awful, it makes whatever problem I'm having seem completely worth it.
I'm looking forward to the newborn phase passing and being able to interact more fully with baby John. He's already starting to make little cooing noises and he spends a good deal of time awake and alert after he eats. I can't believe how much he's going to change in the next year.
So here we are, alive and well, if not a little worn around the edges from the lack of sleep. I went shopping for some clothes to fit my new body -- that was pretty depressing. The main problem is the giant boobs that I have now. I think finding some better nursing bras will make life a little better... right now the ones I have give me a huge uniboob, which is unflattering and unnatural ;)
since you brought up the boob issue...you'll be glad to know that pretty soon they'll go back to close to their pre-pregnancy size, once your body gets used to making the milk as the baby needs it :) i don't know how i missed that little factoid, but i didn't realize that would happen until it happened. it's kind of a relief.
ReplyDelete