Tuesday, January 26, 2010

30 weeks (almost)

So last week we went to the doctor, already pretty concerned that she wasn't going to let us do the Bradley method/natural childbirth stuff that we're planning.  But because I hate change and want to make things work, I went in with some questions that I figured would help us make the right decisions.

Before I was able to ask any questions, my doctor comes in and tells me that I'm anemic (I'm really not, I have thalassemia trait which makes it look like I'm anemic) and that I need iron supplements.  I was surprised that she was saying this, since she had already prescribed extra folate to make up for the fact that I have this trait and can't take iron supplements (risk of iron poisoning, etc.) When I told her that I couldn't take iron supplements, she glared at me and asked "well, do you want a blood transfusion instead? Because that's what we'll have to do if you're anemic." I was shocked for a second and then told her that obviously I'd rather take a pill than have some crazy transfusion, but by the time I said that I think she realized she had made a mistake so was then trying to prescribe the same folate for me that she had already done back in September.  Each of these slip ups made us even more nervous.

Then we went on our hospital tour.  That was the final nail in the coffin.  They don't allow pretty much any deviation from hospital policy, which consists of continuous monitoring, no food or drink during labor, must give birth on your back, etc.  Pretty much everything I don't want. Great.  In fact, the nurse started the tour describing the typical birth scenario there, which is a scheduled induction!! I wanted to scream.

So it looks like we're switching doctors and hopefully going to deliver at a birth center.  It's 45 minutes from my house, but at this point, I'd rather give birth in my pool outside than go to the hospital I'm currently registered at. Yikes.

Other than that, I am very uncomfortable now, especially when I'm trying to sleep.  Baby has run out of space (or so it seems) and is letting me know.  He moves a lot during mass, which I think is funny... maybe it's the choir? They are one of the better choirs I've heard here in town ;) Childbirth classes are going well, though this past week our teacher showed us a baby doll traveling through a pelvis, which made me super nervous for the baby.  I really, really don't want him to get stuck in there... I'm sooo glad I don't remember my own travels through that area!!

No comments:

Post a Comment