Thursday, May 13, 2010

1 month, 2 days old

So here we are, alive and well, albeit pretty sleep deprived.  Things I've learned or observed so far:

-- After living on 1.5 hour blocks of sleep, a random 3 hour block makes you feel amazing (relatively speaking.)
-- I had no idea how bothersome newborn hands are.  All they do is wake and startle baby John.
-- Vomit isn't the only thing that can be projected out of the baby.  (We've had a few incidents.)
-- Babies can burp and fart at the same time.  In fact, they spend a good chunk of time farting... at least, my baby does :)
-- People don't care if the baby is sleeping or needs to eat.  The only thing that is important to some of them is that they can carry the baby.  Poor baby was exhausted and nearly asleep in my arms when one of my aunts just took him from me and proceeded to tell me that "crying is his way of talking" when he started to cry. Sigh.
-- Everyone asks me how he's sleeping and when I tell them that he has a (somewhat) regular 3 hour cycle of eat, play, and sleep, they look shocked that he's not sleeping more.  Granted, I haven't had more than one baby, but everything I read says that he's normal.  He won't be sleeping 8 hours a night for a while.  I think people forget that.
-- This child does not like slow driving.  He's perfectly happy when we're on the highway, but the moment we're in a drive-thru (such as Starbucks lol), he starts wailing.  I already have a dog that has this behavior problem, I didn't realize I'd have a child with it, too.
-- Nursing is tough. It doesn't help when people tell you to deal with the problems by putting the baby on formula.  I have nothing against those who choose to supplement with formula or use it exclusively, but if my choice is to exclusively breastfeed at this point, perhaps the advice could be geared towards that goal.  Just sayin'... ;)
-- Finding clothes that fit is hard work.  I look ridiculous most of the time.
-- I still love my dogs.  They are not going to become "just dogs" anytime soon.  :)

1 comment:

  1. If you ever find yourself with a free hour or so (so in ten years) I think some of the real housewives of NJ are going through something similar post-birth. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete